Sunday, December 7, 2008

my worlds collide

This week has been wonderful having Mom and Dad here. They've seemed to enjoy Grenoble quite a bit. I've had to continue to go to classes, but I've met up with them after class. They've done quite a bit of discovering on their own, but we've also gotten to see things that are still new to me. It's cool to see all the Christmas decorations finally lit up!!! Everything is so pretty. They've also opened up the Christmas market. It's been a little bizarre to have them see my life and friends here, but it's cool. I'm glad that now when I talk about things here, they have an image they can picture. Saturday, we took a train up to Lyon and spent the day there for the "Fete de Lumieres" (Festival of Lights). It originated from an improvised celebration, thanking Mary for protecting the City from the devastation of the plague (cholera) in 1832. From then on, the Catholics of Lyon celebrate the Virgin Mary and thank her with a huge festival that attracts people from all over the country and different parts of Europe.
Today, my host-parents and grandparents had us over for a delicious meal and wonderful cultural exchange. My brain's a bit drained from the interpreting, but I think we all had a good time. After dinner, my host-dad took us up near the house to an old monastery and we had an excellent view of the sun setting on Grenoble and the surrounding mountains.
Tomorrow Mom and Dad head to Paris. Tuesday they fly back to Texas. It's exciting to think that in less than two weeks I'll be home again!!! YAY!
Pray for my finals, good-byes and travels.
I'm off to bed...my brain is dead and I have class at 8.30am before I take my parents to the "gare" (train station).



No comments: