Tuesday, May 27, 2008

a little of what's up

The kids are asleep, or at least in bed. Today has bee quite a busy day, but I'm really enjoying being back. I woke up early this morning to get back into the routine of working out with my friend Abigail. As usual, she worked me hard, but it felt great. (We'll see if I still feel that way tomorrow).
When I got back from the gym, I had a cultural experience I haven't encountered since Costa Rica. After breakfast, I went to take a shower, and realized that there was no running water. I needed to wash up...I have to admit, after working out, I was pretty smelly. Well, they did have some water collected downstairs. So Ale and I decided to put it in a bucket to take it upstairs. COLDEST "shower" I've had in forever. The funny thing was, that as soon as I got out, haha, the water came back. Oh well, too late.
Afterward, I went over to Abigail's to give her her first English lesson. I must say, I really love teaching beginner's English. It's pretty fun, especially when it's with people I really love, and I get to encourage (and be encouraged by) along the way! Tomorrow I start teaching English lessons at the church. I'm also looking forward to that.
Well, after hanging out with Abi, I felt so proud of myself, I took a combi (van that is common public transportation) to and from another town in this same area all by myself (AND didn't get lost!). I went to see my friend that works at an internet cafe, since we don't have internet at home, and I hadn't checked my email since Thursday.
I came back to Rod's place, fed the kids and then it was off to swimming lessons. We all hopped in a cab, and thankfully Daniel (the oldest) knew how to get there. I felt like a soccer mom, with all their things in a big purse. And I was proud of the little ones swimming, and Cathy got promoted the second level...this "proud parent" feeling is a little odd...hehe. I got to talk to the other moms some, and they were like "Those three kids are YOURS?!?!" haha!
We came home, ate and did homework. Once they were done, we watched some movie...some kid-movie with dogs in it...I don't know. I tried to clean up the kitchen some, and all I could think was "Hats off to you Mom! My respects!"

Just a little catch-up on things I've done since I've been back:
Thurs: flew in, Ale, her friend Karen from school, and Alberto came to pick me up. Then I saw Abigail and later just hung out with my family at home.
Fri: I went to greet the Fry's and later met up with Brigam and sat in on his last English class. I went home and played Phase 10 with my family, and then went out for some AWESOME quesadillas with Brigam, Rod, a girl from the youth group and her mom.
Sat: Brig and I grabbed some tacos, before he headed out to a camp for a week. Then Elias, Ale's boyfriend, came to pick me up so we could go watch her american football game (a few hours away in a city called Ciudad Universitaria...kinda rings a bell...College Station, maybe?). After the game, I was playing around with Elias and Ale's little cousin, running around and tossing the football, and Elias dislocated his shoulder. An ambulance picked him and Ale up and took them to the hospital to set it back into place. Karen was kind enough to take me and Daniel most of the way home, and then sent us on our way in a combi. I chilled at home with Daniel until everyone made it back. I think it was real special for him and my family that I could play with him. Fabi's sister needs much of the Lord. I invited Daniel to come to church with us, and he did!
Sun: It was so good to be at church, to see sweet faces, and to see how much things had changed and grown!!! Ale and her cousin, Alex, taught the youth's lesson...great job! (I'm so proud to see how much she's grown!) After church, went out to the market with my host-parents, had some yummy food and went to watch Prince Caspian in Spanish...

Alright, I guess this update makes up for all the days I didn't! Looks like I'll be spending the night here at the Fry's. It's cool with me, they've got a comfy couch! So much more to tell, but I'm off for now. Thanks again for your love and prayers! God bless!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You sound like a soccer mom! You sound like you are having a blast and I am so glad for you. You are in my prayers, dear.