Wednesday, May 30, 2007

orale!!!

Well, I have to say, I am really enjoying my time here! Things are going really well! Sunday I went to the church service, and praise the Lord, my whole host-family came too!!! The service reminded me a lot of being back in Costa Rica. I really, really enjoy the church family here. They are truly a family, very warm and sweet. Alejandra and I were asked to help Mayra (Rod´s wife) to do a little intro skit for the children´s sunday school class. Afterward, we went with the youth to another house a few blocks away. The church is actually a house that they use for ministry purposes. This place is used daily with English classes, Bible studies, hang out, whatever.
Last night, I had the chance to talk to my sister about a lot of things. In fact, we stayed up until about 2.30am discussing things. But what was most special to me was to see how much she enjoyed church and how welcome she feels here. She has felt like part of the family. Coming from a traditional Catholic background, where her family would usually just go to church for occasions like Christmas and what not, this was quite a change for her. She said that before recently, she had only known one Christian in her life, and was very impressed by her. What she loves the most is she has seen that God is not just something we talk about on Sunday mornings, but He is part of all our lives. WOW!!! Please keep praying for her and her family!!!
Yesterday, I slipped away to have a devotional time, and she came out and asked if she could study with me. OF COURSE!!! I think she enjoyed it, and actually in our talk last night, she made reference to what we had learned in our devotional. I´m so excited about the way things are going.
My host-mom said she also really enjoyed the service and would like to go back. I was impressed to hear when my sister told me that Alejandra´s cousin kind of made fun of her for going to a Protestant church and accused her of betraying the Catholic faith. Fabi remained firm and stood up for herself and her actions. Praise God for giving her the strength to do so!!!
On another note, I made a new work-out buddy. One of the ladies at the church asked me if i wanted to go to the gym with her this week and next. Today was our first day and she really worked me hard, but I enjoyed spending time with her. Then she invited me for tacos later on today. We are very much alike in a lot of things (besides the fact that she has 2 kids...). I have really enjoyed her, she is a really cool person!!!
Things are going well. My schedule still is not really busy as far as activities go. When the most of the rest of the group (make sense?) comes next Wednesday, we are heading to Mexico CIty for some orientation and site-seeing. Then we will come back and probably be a bit more busy.
This Friday, I am trying to get the girls from the youth group together so we can have a sleep-over and I can get to know them a bit. I have decided to start a ministry with them because they don´t have any girls that are leading them and so, I want to do what I can while I´m here. I was talking with one girl, who´s parents are leaders in the church (Melany). She said her home was open for the night. As I was talking to her, and she was telling me about things that would be good to talk to them about. I was very grateful for her input and I told her I would do what I can. It´s a little weird for me to be in this position of leading girls. I still like I should be in a youth group myself. Please pray that the Lord will use me and that I will be able to reach their hearts in a memorable way. Please pray for open hearts and open minds.
Well, I think I am good for now. Thanks for the encouragement. I love you all!!!

Check out this video about ministry here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0blQIoiNcE

3 comments:

Brad and Lindsey Bridges said...

Awesome stuff Missy! We are SO excited for you and love the way you are just diving in with everyone. By the end of the summer you will not want to leave these people, because they will truly feel like family. Love the posts! Keep em comin'!
-Lindsey (and Brad)-

Unknown said...

Missy, I love you! Your posts are so encouraging, I just love reading them! I will continue praying for you and I can't wait to hear more stories about the amazing things you will see and do while you are there. I am so excited for you! :o)

Anonymous said...

You constantly amaze me! I have been so encouraged by you and everything the Lord is doing. The only thing is that College Station is not the same without you! Bah. I will definitely continue to pray and look forward to hearing even more about what our precious Savior is doing!
Kaitlyn