Monday, September 22, 2008

un bon weekend

Yet another wonderful weekend! The BBQ Friday went well. I met a few people and had a chance to know a couple of French girls and practice with them. I got along pretty well with them, and I invited one of them to join me and my friends on Wednesday for lunch (since she wants to practice some English). After the BBQ, some of us went into town to get some ice cream and just hang out for some time.
Saturday morning, a group of us met up to take a bus about 40mins up the mountain to watch an event that happens once a year. We couldn’t tell if it was a competition or just a display, but we got to see Para gliders and hang gliders diving from the mountain. The event had the feel of a festival, and it was really exciting to be there. The morning began a little cooler than we expected, but the afternoon brought the warm sun. It ended up being just the perfect weather.
When I got home, I had to get ready for Violaine’s (host-sister) birthday party. I had a good time with everyone. Got to meet many people, and practice my French a bit. However, I had several people that wanted to speak English to me once they found out I was américaine. I got to dance some (apparently it’s not always like this, but everyone pretty much danced Rock and Roll, which was like swing dancing with techno music), but what I really enjoyed were the great conversations. I ended up staying up really late because there were quite a few people from out of town that spent the night here too.
Sunday morning, after breakfast, my host-family took me with them to Laure’s (host-sister) Girl Scout start-up event. They had a big reunion and picnic for the families of the Boy and Girl Scouts of the district.
That was quite and interesting experience. I learned a few weeks ago that Scoutisme here is in fact a religious association. So after lunch, I joined my family for a special mass for the start of the new year. I enjoyed the mass and I’m glad I went. It was interesting not only to attend a Catholic church, but to hear it all in French. I didn’t participate in everything, but I appreciated a most of the songs and Scripture readings.
On my way home, I got the weekly reminder (via text message) from my neighbors about soccer. I was so tired from the weekend, I didn’t think I’d play. But I went over to say hi to them, and the convinced me to join (it wasn’t hard) even though I hadn’t changed. Felt so great to play though!
After school, my friend Megan is going to come home with me for a little bit. She’s another believer in the group; she went to church with me last Sunday. Anyway, we’re just going to take some time to step back and reflect on our time here. We’re both looking forward to talking to each other and unloading a bit, which we can’t entirely do with the rest of the group. Afterward, I will go to the Bernard’s house to baby sit again for an hour. I’m actually looking forward to that.







No comments: