Tuesday, September 9, 2008

a perfect day in grenoble

I actually ment to post that last entry before we left Paris last Thursday. Since I’ve been in Grenoble, my internet access has been quite limited, as my host-family’s router is having issues. We have now been here five days, and I am so excited to be living here this semester. Everything is so amazing. My host-family is wonderful, a very loving and tender family. I feel very much at ease with them. The area around Grenoble is incredible. There are three giant mountains that surround the city. I live in a suburb about 15-20 mins from the city center. Transportation is very easy and reliable. The school campus is really big (it hosts like 4 universities on the same campus) and it is beautiful as well, but with the surrounding beauty, it is no wonder.
Sunday was my first of my perfect days here. My host-family had to go out of town and felt bad because they had to leave me. however I had a wonderful day on my own! Totally the way to start the semester.
When I woke up, my family was already gone. I got ready and the Lewis’ (a missionary couple that has been here for 33 years) picked me up to go to church with them. I really enjoyed the worship and the message (in FRENCH!). I liked the church and plan to get involved there this semester. After the service, I met and conversed with quite a few people. They were all quite friendly. One lady even invited me to have lunch with her and her husband after church next week. I’m looking forward to that.
Another host-family know I’d be on my own, so they invited me over for lunch and to hang out some at their place. So after church, the Lewis’ kindly dropped me off near this family’s home. After eating, we sat on the back porch because it was a beautiful day! Then we decided to go on a drive up one of the mountains to a fort that has a BEAUTIFUL view of Grenoble. Then they dropped me off at the house again. It was so lovely out that I couldn’t bear to stay in the house alone, so I put some stuff together, changed and headed out to talk a walk. I ran into some neighbors who were playing soccer (futbol) and they invited me to join in. It was so nice to play with them and meet a couple of families from the neighborhood. Afterward they invited me for refreshments at their place (WOW, that was a LOT of French that went over my head). I had a great time with them, and they invited me to join every Sunday afternoon, sun, rain or snow!
When I came home and showered, my host-family returned and wanted me to tell them all about my day. They are so sweet and make me feel very special. I love talking to them and learning so much every evening.
Yesterday was my placement exam and today I find out what level I will enter. I’m hoping to make it into the advanced level, but we’ll see this afternoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Missy. It sounds like you're in another world. I'm glad you're settling in. Love you.