Sunday, June 3, 2007

a few more things to check off the list

It has been a long week, but that just means it's been that much more fun-filled. Every weekday, I've been getting up around 7:30am to go work out for a few hours. That has been so much fun to hang out with Abigail. She is such a cool lady. Wednesday afternoon, a couple hours after we got back from excersizing, we went down the street from her house to eat some tacos. They are so cheap and good here! (More about that later) On Thurday she took me to the ˝tianguis,˝ or the market. It was really cool to get to do that with her.
Also on Thursday, Brigam and I were invited to a couple from the church's house. The man had to work but her mom, sister and the two kids were there. It was really cool and we made sushi and fried rice and stuff. I had a good time getting to know them a little. Very sweet lady, named Laura, and her husband is Martin.
That evening after English class, Brigam and another friend, Alberto, came to pick me up because my host-family wasn't home. So we went out for tacos and they wanted me to try something...exotic. I had tacos de ˝trompa˝ (snout) and de ˝tripa˝ (intestine). Today I tried de ˝riƱon˝ (kidney). I'd have to say, i didn't like the kidney, the snout was alright, not bad but not great, but i did really like the intestine tacos. Not exactly something I thought I would say, but I wouldn't mind going back to order them sometime.
Friday was a loaded day. After working out, I had to finish up my lesson for the women's Bible study and get together with Mayra to practice the songs for worship. Then we had English class, and as soon as that was over was the women's Bible study. It went well, I suppose. The lesson was a really good one. We're going through a book, not the one I translated. I don't think we'll be using that while I'm here because they're half-way through this study, but I will leave it behind with them. As soon as the study was over, I came home to pack and went right back to the church to meet the girls for the sleepover. I started getting a bit nervous about it because these girls are in a bit of a different world from what I'm living. I was fearing not associating well with them or even entertaining them enough for them to enjoy themselves. But we got to the house up on the hill where it was. WOW! That place is beautiful. We got there at night, so we could look down to see all the lights of Ixtapaluca. So beautiful!!! We played picture-telephone (aka Holly Nelson game), then we went outside and played several rounds of mafia on the trampoline. Then we gathered around a little bonfire and Mayra brought two gutiars for us to worship with and the two of us, with another lady from the church named Sandra, shared a few words of encouragement with the girls. After that, Mayra made an invitation for them to place their faith in Christ alone for their eternal salvation. If every decision that was made was done out of a sincere heart, we had several girls place their faith in Him. I just pray that anyone who did would make a concious effort to grow and stay strong.
We went in and played a little more, ate snacks, giggled and talked. I finally went to bed around 3:15am, the most of the girls went to sleep and hour or two later. When we got up and after breakfast, we went up a little higher up the mountain to some pyramids and we got to see the town even better too. That was way cool!
We got back and from what I've heard from people that have talked to the girls, they seemed to have a good time. It was cool going to church today and getting to talk to a few of the girls that I had gotten to know. I think it was a good experience for us all. We had about 12 girls show, a VERY good number.
I guess we can keep praying for ministry there. I know there is a lot to share, but I want to establish a trust with them before I come into their worlds. Please also pray for confidence in the Lord.
Last, I would like to ask for prayer for strength and energy. I haven't rested much recently, until today. I had a pretty laid back day with my friends here. I'm hoping it was good enough to start a new day with new strengths. Please also pray for the group. Most of the people that are coming get in this week. We are going to have an orientation and hang out and sight'seeing time for 3 days in Mexico City (about an hour from here) starting Wednesday. I guess we can pray that we will mesh well from the get-go.
Well, I'm off to bed before an early morning tomorrow! We'll see if I feel sore again. Today was the first day I haven't felt sore since Tuesday.
I appreciate your comment, emails, love, support and prayers. You are all amazing!!! I miss you! Please let me know how I can be praying for you! God bless!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

first chance I've had to get here since you left. your mom's been keeping me updated, but reading through all this was great, and I LOVE seeing all the pictures. I can totally hear and see all the ways the LORD is using you. I love you and miss my cheery Missy smile and big hug, but I love getting to serve with you through prayers...and keep up through blogs (who woulda thought!)

Anonymous said...

hey divi!!
glad to hear things are going well. i will be praying for supernatural strength and refreshing!! keep up the good work girl!! and remember where your strenght does come from.... the joy of the lord!!
love you,
jess-divi:o)

Anonymous said...

seriously intestine tacos?? I can't even think how those are made!

Miss you lots and we pray for you often. Kids are crazy as usual..you know that is....more soon....
Angie

Anonymous said...

Hi Missy,
It is great to hear all that the Lord and you are doing. I'll be praying for your strength, energy, & opportunities to share.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us all posted on what GOD is doing in your life. Have your host family asked about Jesus Christ yet? I wonder what the intestine tacos would taste like?!???

Anonymous said...

Here it is thursday and I'm just reading Sunday's posting. Still it is very interesting. Your activity seems intense - a tribute to the preparation by the church people and CAM missionaries.

May God continue using you in a powerful way and may He keep you energized by seeing the unexpected become routine. God is awesome!

Love, Dad