Friday, June 29, 2007

la mas panzita

Well, it has been over a week. Yet again, i haven't gotten around to updating. Mis disculpas, my apologies.
Thursday was a fun day. After our daily English class, and kids' club, I went to play soccer with the girls again. It was a good game. I must say, I was pretty proud of myself, even though we lost, I scored 3 goals. I was sad we lost, that's just because I am competitive, but we played well with our final score being 5-4. Of course I have my justifications for why we lost, but I must admit that the other team played well.
Friday after English class, I had another unforgettable Mexcian experience. A family that I have had the priviledge of having them all as students throughout my time here, invited me and three other girls for dinner. They served us cow stomach....a delicacy, or so they say. I felt bad for the girls, I could tell they were really struggling to be polite. We each ate so many tortillas to wash it down. I tried to make excuses for not eating, I did have to tell them that we had a huge lunch. But I tried to eat the most I could stomach...har har! I ate my full plate, as I tried hard to not look at what I was eating. Then, our host served me a second plate...I tried to eat the most of it I could, but I only got half-way. I did what I could for my sisters. That was a fun experience. Then we went to hang out at Rod and Mayra's house to play board games. I just love hanging out withh all the people I've met here, Mexcian and American!!!
Saturday we went out ot Xochimilco, a place that makes me think of the Mexican version of Venice. We road down this lagoon in these sort of boats that are decorated so colorful. It was really cool. A great day to relax. We had a mariachi band play for us while we were out on the water. It was a fun experience. When we got back in town, I hung out with Abigail. She's so amazing!!! I love that girl! She made threaded a braid in my hair. It looks pretty cool. I always enjoy talking to her. I always leave encouraged and in a great mood!
Sunday, at church, we had another skit by the drama team. It was amazing and moved many people. Afterward, the music team had a special song in English called, Wonderful Maker. I helped with the children's class along with about three or four other girls. After church, I went to lunch and to watch Spiderman with a few friends. When I got home, my host-mom and her friend gave me and three other girls a pedicure. She'd been wanting to give me one for the longest time.
Monday, we had a going away party for Amanda Stephens and Rod's cousing and his wife. It's wierd to say good-bye to people already.
I've had a few more driving lessons, I actually feel comfortable driving a standard now.
I know I'm really jumping from one subject to another, but let's see...Thursday night was our going away party. They had a party and a fun "award" ceremony for us. I got the award for "la mas panzita" (the most stomach), they said because of my solidarity in eating the most of the cow stomach. After all the fun, I started te get a bit bummed out about having to leave Santa Barbara.
Please pray for our time in Guadalajara. Especially for our attitudes, we're not really pumped about leaving, myself strongly included. I feel your prayers are helping me feel a little more at peace, but I want passion!!!
Anyway, today I had and ENglish party in my class and just hung out, ate and talked with my students in English for 1-1.5 hrs. It was so encouraging to see how much they had learned and enjoyed the class. We could actually converse for that long! I pretended that I couldn't understand Spanish, forcing them to use ENglish. Then I came home and my host-family took me out to dinner. I gave them some thank you gifts and they gave me some of the sweetest words of encouragement. I'm so grateful for their love and hospitality. I'm also grateful that I will come back for 3 days to see them before I leave.
Well, I think this is good for now. I need to go to sleep. I have to be up early for my 8 hour busride to Guadalajara tomorrow. Hope to update you soon! Thanks again, God bless!

No comments: