Sunday, June 13, 2010

"what happens in Mexico...

...goes on my blog!" Okay, so nothing majorly embarrassing happened, but that just a new expression that I have with my friends here. This week has flown by, jammed-packed with stuff, that I don't even know where to begin.
Spanish courses officially ended, although in the time that I'm here, if I'm free, we'll have a few more lessons. The interns have exhausted my "beginner's" material, so I've pushed them hard into the "intermediate" level. Continue to pray for encouragement and language development.
Basketball lessons have also finished with a bang! I've enjoyed working with the little ones so much. I don't tire easily of having little kids that can't even remember my name half the time hang all over me or constantly try to get my attention to show me their new tricks. Precious!
Wednesday night, I spent the night with the intern girls and had a great time getting to know them. Tiffany and I stayed talking until about 2:30am sharing about everything and anything! (Megan, she kept reminding me a lot of you!) After that night, I felt like we became much closer friends.
The following day, after Spanish class, we drove over to a region called Teotihuacan, where the famous Aztec pyramids are located. Thursday was a pretty low-key day. Friday after watching the Mexico vs. South Africa openning game, we headed out to the pyramids, where we climbed up to the top of the "Sun" and halfway up the "Moon." When we got back to the beautiful home where we were staying, we had some lunch and a time for debriefing. The rest of the day we just hung out, learned a few salsa moves, watched a movie and played some games.
Saturday after breakfast, we headed into Mexico City and went to an amusement park called "La Feria de Chapultepec" to celebrate Daniel's 13th birthday. We had a great time at the park. One thing I have to admit, we went in a haunted house and have never been so scared by one ever! I think we all came out of there closer than ever (in terms of friendship AND proximity). The rest of the rides were way fun, but a little more rickety or something than here. I'm pretty sore on my left side.
When I got home, we had a full house. A family from the church came to visit my host-dad to see how he was doing. Two of my host-aunts and their kids came over too. After some time of just hanging out and talking, we went to my host-sister's house to hang out there. When we got home, I talked with my host-mom and finally went to bed around midnight.
Although I was bummed to not get to watch the US play, I'm ok with the tie, and I'm glad we have been able to watch some of the other games. It's more fun to watch them here in Mexico with people that are more interested in the World Cup.
Not long until I go home. 11 days! Time flies. Pray for the rest of my time. Pray I make the most of it and enjoy it to the fullest! Love yous!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your classes went well and the time with the children too.

Love you,

mom and dad too

Anonymous said...

Glad you were reminded of me... we need to have one of those 2:30 am nights... which we will be able to do very soon!! <3 Megatron