Wednesday, June 2, 2010

getting around

Today was day 3 of Spanish class, and it's going really well. The interns are picking it up quickly. Today was a little more of an intense day. I could tell they were a little more drained by the end of the class. Three hours is a long time to have to process a foreign language! I try to give them breaks and to do different types of activities to break up the monotony. They're doing well.

It's great to be back and catch up with people. I love the feeling of ¨being back,¨ knowing people, how to get around on public transportation, where to buy things, what food to get. It's also fun to remember things that make Mexico Mexico: the sounds, the smells, the sights, the flavors, etc. Monday I got to see my host-sister and her family. It's bizarre to see her as a wife and mother now. My little Mexican niece is adorable, if I may say so myself. Yesterday, after the Spanish course, I went to surprise my old friend Abigail and her two sons. It was so great to catch up with her. We decided to go out for breakfast this morning with another friend and her daughter. It was so sweet to see them again and reminisce and catch-up with some good eats. The only thing is that at around noon today my stomach told me it's not used to the mexican food yet, but sooner or later it will have to be. I'm still eating anyway.

Continue praying for my host-dad. He's having to stay at home these days, and he has at least four appointments with the chiropractor (I never know if I'm spelling that right...). Pray for the interns, ministry, language and health. Pray for me also. I'm feeling well right now, but I don't like having stomach issues.

Funny how:
-people here blare their music loud enough to be heard down the street, so you may hear several different sounds systems on your walk to the corner
-Mexicans LOVE mayo
-many things aren't refrigerated like you would in the US
-when you're traveling with people, you're much more open about your body functions
-it's freeing to not be tied down by a schedule or a cell phone
-people here on the street refer to me as 'white girl' :)

No comments: