My purpose for creating this blog was for my experiences in life abroad. When I created it, I was headed for my first trip to Mexico for 8 weeks. The next year I picked it up again with my trip to Mexico for 4 weeks, followed by my time in Qatar for 6 weeks and then my semester in Europe. The last time I made updates was for my month-long trip to Mexico again last summer.
However, I've been going through a time when I've been reflecting on why God has purposed for me to be here, now. For those of you who don't know what "here and now" looks like, I'm currently in my first year teaching at a Texas public school. I have a bilingual fourth grade group, whom I absolutely adore. There is no doubt in my mind, that they are a part of God's purpose for my "here and now."
Days like today are just a confirmation of that. At dinner, I shared how I just wish I could teach my students everything! My passion and enthusiasm get a hold of me, and I just want them to know all that I know and more, before they even go to fifth grade.
My fear was that after the state TAKS tests last week, we would have "senioritis" and would be ready for summer with five weeks holding us back. God has answered the prayers of my brothers and sisters, and we are running with a new engine. In fact, it is mostly because of the freedom from the pressure of TAKS that our lessons have gotten far more real-life and exciting. We've discussed everything from higher education, work, wages, cost of living and budgeting, to crucial events in the history of humanity such as the holocaust. These kids are just as enthusiastic about learning as they were at the beginning of the year (when they were begging for homework).
God knows why I'm here, now. Even though I would like to be sent by Him to serve throughout the world, He's helping my find joy in following His lead. Colossians 3:23 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord."
Tuesday, May 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment