Monday, November 3, 2008

weekend in genève

Well, Geneva, Switzerland was soooo much fun! I had a blast! Honestly, I don't think it would have been so amazing had I just stayed one night. There was so much to do, and for not planning ahead, we made good use of our time there and did much!
Friday, I left after class with a “copine” (classmate), Molly, and met up with an “amie” (friend), Arielle, in town to buy stuff for lunch on the way. When we got to the train station, we realized that we weren't actually going to be taking a train there but a bus...haha! it was quite comical being a little crammed there for about 2.5hrs....and we couldn't even eat our lunch on the bus.
So when we got to the hostel, we ate lunch and rested a little. After our naps/resting, we walked around town, looking for the “Maison de Tourisme” and checking out the city. Once we found it, it was dark out, so we decided to go to the lakefront and we saw the awesome Jet d'Eau at night (or water-jet, one of the largest fountains in the world. Five-hundred litres (132 gallons) of water per second are jetted to an altitude of 140 metres (459 feet) a speed of 200 km/h (124 mph))....it was so beautiful. Later, we took a tram to the old side of the city and went to a comedie piece called, “Le jeu de l’amour et du hazard” (The Game of Love and Chance). It was sooooo much fun! I really enjoyed the show...and understood it too! We came back and went to bed.
The next morning, after breakfast, we walked to the “Palais des Nations” (the UN office at Geneva and the second-biggest of the four major office sites…second to New York), then walked some more and went to the Red Cross Museum. That was incredibly interesting to me! Then we walked along the Lake Leman again and bought tickets for a boat tour (which wasn't until later, so we went to grab lunch). After the tour (sooooo cold b/c it was pretty windy out on the water, but it was really pretty), we went back to the hostel to shower and freshen/warm up. We went out again for a walk at night along the lake and then grabbed dinner (I had delicious food from Latin America!! A tamal and an empanada…it’d been a while, and I didn’t know when I’d get that chance again!)
Sunday, after breakfast, we walked along the other side of the lake and saw the pretty rose gardens. We walked down the pier to the jet d'eau (I got probably about 15-20 ft away and soaked too!). We continued on into the old town to the “Cathedral de St. Pierre” (home church of John Calvin, one of the leaders of the Protestant Reformation). Soon, we headed back to the hostel and then took the gorgeous 2hr train-ride back and that was our weekend!







No comments: